Sunday, October 9, 2011

Blog Post #7

Randy Pausch

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
Before even watching "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch, I dreaded having to watch it.  With that being said, I  waited to the last minute to watch.  However, when I started watching it, I actually was drawn in.  I loved how Randy Pausch used emphasis in his voice.  Another thing that I liked that drew me into his video was how he used comedy to keep the audience interested.  Throughout his video he talked about his childhood dreams, how he enabled the dreams of others, and his lessons learned.
Randy Pausch said a lot of things throughout his video that struck me, and will stick with me for the rest of my life.  "Brick walls are built and placed for a reason".  Brick walls show your dedication, and also separates you from the people who don't want to achieve their childhood dreams.  If you are willing to go beyond the brick wall and try your best to knock it down to achieve your goals, it shows your hard determination.  Also, fundamentals matter.  Without fundamentals, it really doesn't matter about the fancy stuff. That is important because some teachers focus on the fancy things in the classroom rather than the fundamentals behind to get the fancy things.  Another statement that Pausch said was about worrying.  "You should worry when your doing wrong and no one says anything".  After hearing that, I was brought to reality because I've always had the attitude about why are people worrying about my business.  But when I heard that, it made me realize that when people are worrying about you and giving you criticism, then they actually care for you and want the best for you.  Now that makes me want more criticism daily.
In the Last Lecture, Randy Pausch talks about how he love to enable other children to achieve their dreams.  He was able to help two of his students to become faculty members of the college he taught at, Carnegie Mellon University.  Pausch loved helping others.  Pausch created Alice to help students with virtual technology.  He stated that even if he didn't see how big the success would be, he didn't care and that at least it would be apart of his legacy.
"Without the different people in your life, you wouldn't be who you are".  This stated by Randy Pausch is so true.  Pausch says many people such as parents, mentors, teachers, friends, and even colleagues have gotten you to where you are today.  People that helped him be the man who he is today was Andy van Dam and his bosses.
A few other quotes that Randy Pausch said that stuck me and will stick with me all throughout the years I'm teaching is
  • Never Give Up
  • You can't get there alone
  • Tell the truth, be earnest, and apologize if you screw up
  • Focus on yourself not others
  • Get feedback loop, and listen to it.
    • Anybody can get positive feedback or chewed out, but it takes a strong one to take heed and listen.
  • Don't complain; just work harder
  • Be good at something; it makes you valuable.
  • Find the best in everybody
    • You might have to wait a while but people will show you their good side eventually; just keep waiting; everybody is not evil.
  • IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW TO ACHIEVE YOUR DREAMS; IT'S ABUT HOW YOU LEAD YOUR LIFE; IF YOU LEAD YOUR LIFE IN THE RIGHT WAY, THE KARMA WILL TAKE CARE OF ITSELF; THE DREAMS WILL COME TRUE TO YOU.
    Be Good At Something Quote

    Those are just a few of the quotes that I took heed to.  When I become a teacher, these would be quotes that I would post around my classroom to make it a positive learning environment.  At the end of the video, Randy Pausch stated that the purpose of the video wasn't for the crowd, but it was for his children when he dies of his sickness.  Overall, I enjoyed the video, and wouldn't mind watching it for a second time.  All of the things that Randy Pausch said in this video will be taken with me and used in the near future.

    2 comments:

    1. Hey Ashley! I got picked to comment on your blog this week! I think you did a great job summarizing the video! If you want to read my post about Dr. Pausch took a different spin on things. Anyway! Hope you have a great week, keep up the good work! Team Gryffindor!!

      ReplyDelete