Thursday, September 8, 2011

C4T #1


Not better, but different
In the blog that was read, Not better, but different, Dean Shareski talks about how technology is perceived by different individuals as not being better, but different than the past.  He argues that technology is far more better and different, and that reading doesn't give you the ability to gain as much intellect as accessing the internet.  He believes that reading books are destroying our community.
I commented on his post and stated that this post was very interesting to me.  This is because so many people in modern day believe that reading a book will give you far more intellect than technology.  I think this is because all technology is being stereotyped as a brain washer.  However, not all technology is used for the same thing.  Personally, I think a person is more intellectual if they are technologically literate and can access great information from the internet than the person who can only access information from reading.  That is because information in books and magazines are less up to date than the internet which publishes information every second.


Why Joy Matters
In the blog that was read, Why Joy Matters, Dean Shareski expounds on how teachers should focus a little more of their students emotions.  He believes that the pressure of getting the work done and making the grade is squeezing the joy out of students.  He also states that creating a joyful learning environment is very important, and if we start counting the smiles of our students there may be a difference in the classroom.
I commented and stated that I loved this post.  Many teachers today are more focused on the student coming to school getting the grade and doing the work.  However, they should be worrying about how the student feels while he/she is at school.  I believe if you could get through to the child emotionally, the classroom will be more efficient in all ways. 
Give Joy,Get Joy

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Ashley!

    This blog that you wrote about seems pretty interesting. I have to agree that the internet is a greater resource for accruing intelligence, the reason being that the internet does not only have basically every book that has ever existed on it, but it also has so much more information. I mean I have an Amazon Kindle app on my phone for crying out loud! I do think that books are a great foundation, but the internet is so much more vast, so there is not even a competition. Good job! The only thing that I can see wrong at all is you had incorrect comma usage in your first two sentences.

    For the second blog post, I feel the same way as you do. When I become a teacher, I want my students to find enjoyment from being in my classroom. I want them to look forward to my class and not dread it! However, in a university setting, I imagine this to be difficult with larger classes. I think that the teacher should be attentive to the collective emotions of the class and keep it interesting, but there is no way for a teacher to focus on each child when there are over 400 of them. Good job, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete