Saturday, September 3, 2011

Blog Post #2

Baby On Laptop


Did You Know
While watching this video, I was somewhat in shock.  This video gave multiple facts that pertained to modern day and the effect that technology is having on the world. Facts about how the population of the world is increasing, the difference in America's education to other countries around the world, and how technology is increasing daily by the minute.
This video gained my attention instantly, because it made me realize how rapidly technology is increasing.  Not only did it make me realize the significance of technology, but it also made me come to reality about how my children will, no doubt, have to be technologically literate to survive in the near future.

Mr. Wrinkle Wakes
In the video, Mr. Wrinkle wakes up from a deep sleep and finds that he is lost in time.  He realizes, once he browses the city and different places inside the city such as the hospital and others, that he is technologically behind.  Once he gets to the hospital, he notices doctors reading and viewing x-rays and patients hooked up to machines and practically having them breathe and live without effort.  He also went to the school.  However, he stated that he felt at home when he arrived at the school because he noticed that they were not using computers and other technology but they were using textbooks, paper, and pencils.
This video was quite interesting to me.  It was interesting is because my father used to be alot like Mr. Wrinkle.  My father is the type that he feels using your brain and reading is the best way to gain intellect. However, now that he see's how the times are changing and technology is increasing, his thoughts and perceptions have changed a little more from what they were. When viewing this video, I was struck because it reminded me that there are quite a few people in modern day that actually are just like Mr. Wrinkle.  The way that technology is increasing, I feel that technology should be apart of everyone's life no matter the age.  Personally, I believe technology should be taught from kindergarten all the way up through the high school years.

Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity
In this speech Sir Ken Robinson expounds on the topic of how schools are killing student's creativity.  They are forcing students to learn facts and how to do things by strictly following directions.  Teachers actually should give students, in all activities, a variety of ways to approach an assignment.  The reason I stated that the variety of approaches should be established is because all students do not learn the same way.  Some students are visual, audio, and both visual and audio. I was a visual learner.  I had to actually see the problem or situation being worked out before I could actually understand it.  Just because students have to see or do the problem does not make them an outlaw from the other students.  It also does not mean that they student has a mental disorder.  Creativity is very important when it come to teaching students and students learning.  Concluding, the thing that Sir Ken Robinson said to me that stuck with me was "If your not prepared to be wrong, then your not prepared to be creative".

Cecelia Gault (Young Student in Finland) Interviews Sir Ken Robinson
In this video, Sir Ken Robinson gave some very important information.  He stated that the schools can be better if the curriculum is changed.  He stated that science, math, and the use of technology should be the concentrated areas.  He also talked about the three myths of creativity which basically states that only certain people are creative.  However, he disagreed with those myths.  I disagree also that only certain people are creative.  The reason I disagree is because the school system in modern day are so strict about how they present their work to the students and how they want the work submitted by their students.  I believe if the teachers would open their ways of presenting the work, and allow their students to take other approaches than the directions that are given, then this would allow the children to express their ways of creativity.  That's one reason I would make sure the Cecelia Gault's in my classroom get an education as well as the Cecelia Gault in the video.


Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts
"Students shouldn't be limited to just paper and pencil" is the quote by Vicki Davis that captured me.  In the video, Vicki Davis explains the significance of moving paper and pencil out of the way and using all forms of technology.  She also states that as being a teacher, you do not have to know every thing.  Vicki Davis gave her students the opportunity to teach her different things about technology.  I love this video because I believe with the way society is going, technology is basically going to be our only way of teaching our students.  As rapidly as technology is evolving, paper and pencils will be extinct and out of the question eventually.  When I obtain my degree, I wish to be a "teacher-preneur" as Vicki Davis calls herself.

3 comments:

  1. Ashley,
    Good job! You did very well summarizing then reflecting on the assignments. Continue to relate the EDM assignments to life in the classroom. It will benefit a lot!! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,
    I can really relate to what you said about all of these, especially the Did You Know? and Mr. Winkle Wakes. I am a coach in a Catholic school in Mississippi and every time we go to watch film we do it with a vcr, because the other coaches refuse to use new technology like a dvd player. They do not understand that we can burn our film on dvd's to watch in a more effective way. Great job on your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "... there are quite a few people in modern day that actually are just like Mr. Wrinkle." Unfortunately, you are correct.

    "When I obtain my degree, I wish to be a "teacher-preneur" as Vicki Davis calls herself." And that is exactly what we want to have happen!

    ReplyDelete