Monday, September 26, 2011

Blog Post #5

Sleeping Baby on Cell Phone

     This post was by Scott McLeod.  Scott McLeod is Associate Professor of Educational Leadership at the University of Kentucky.  He is widely known as one of the nation's leading experts for K-12 on school technology leadership issues.  He also is a co-creator of the YouTube video series of "Did You Know".
     I found this post somewhat sarcastic.  However, when I finished reading it, I was brought to reality about some of the things that he stated.  I agree with some of the things he was saying, and I also disagree with some of the things.  I don't believe that we should shield our children from the things of life.  Especially, if the things of life that will basically create and make up their whole life in the future.  As technology evolves, children will evolve.  So with that being said, I believe once they are introduced to it as a child, they will know how to handle it whenever it is brought to them.  However, I agree with McLeod when he says to protect your children from things such as social networks and cell phones.  The only reason I would agree is, it is so hard to manage what a child views on the internet or on a cell phone.  It does get scary sometimes when you think about it.  This is because there are many people who abuse cell phones and the internet.  As a upcoming teacher, these things that Scott McLeod are major decisions that I will have to make for my classroom.

Student with iTouch

     I loved this video.  This video is of a short powerpoint presentation by Travis Allen, 17yrs old when aired.  He is proposing that schools adopt the iSchool Initiative.  The iSchool Initiative is trying to get schools to adopt having and doing school through an iTouch handheld device.  He believes that with the right plan the school system can be changed.  He also states that, no doubt, money will be saved because for everything that is done in the classroom, Apple Store has a third party app for all assignments.
     This is a great initiative for all schools to adopt.  For one it would save a great amount of money for each student.  With the economy steadily decreasing daily, this would be great for all administrators to consider. Not only would it save money for the students, but it would also save money for the country.  This is because books and other sources that are usually provided via school will not have to be bought.  Also, our environment will be saved.  Less trees will be cut.  By the time I am a teacher, I hope for the iSchool Initiative to be put in effect because it will not only save money, but it will also prepare our children for the real world the way technology is increasing, and also keep parents involved.

Eric Whiteacre's Virtual Choir
When I watched this video, at the beginning, I was somewhat bored.  However, when I stopped to think about it, it then became interesting to me.  This video was alot of people singing as a chorus to the same song.  These people had never met to even practice the song.  Thinking about that, it shows you how powerful technology and the internet is.  After watching this, it made me realize how technology is becoming more efficient and powerful.

Teaching in the 21st Century
By watching this video, my perceptions of Kevin Roberts about teaching is he basically doesn't believe in "burp-back education".  He believes students should be taught skills and not facts and information.  He believes that if the student is taught skills, they will be able to perform basically any task.  He states that as teachers, we shouldn't be entertainment, but we should be there to engage with the students.  Meaning, interact with the students, have them teach you also, so everyone will be learning.
No doubt, I agree with Roberts.  Teaching children to memorize information and then testing them on it is basically pointless.  This is because, once the child takes the test, all of the information is forgotten.  However, if the student are taught skills on how to USE the information,then it will be more effective.  This is because once they get in the working field, they will have to use the information they learned which is basically teaching them skills.  As a teacher, this would help me take a different approach to my classroom.  I will not only teach the facts and information, but also incorporate using the skills that are associated with the information.

3 comments:

  1. You said you agree to shield children from social networking sites and cell phones because they may be exposed to something harmful. However, instead of neglecting those types of situations, why don't teachers and parents teach the children the best way to handle them?

    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My response to your fears can be found in my post <a href="http://strangethoughtsbyjohn.blogspot.com/2011/08/im-scared.html>I'm Scared</a>. Read it.

    The post of Dr. McLeod's was sarcastic. You say that but your comments reveal that you may not have understood the sarcasm. Look at the closing lines: "...'cause I'm doing all of it with my kids

    can't wait to see who has a leg up in a decade or two

    can you?"

    In other words, keep your kids back. Mine will fly ahead of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley! I hope you are enjoying EDM 310 I am really starting to enjoy it. Like Dr. Strange said Dr. McLeod was being very sarcastic. We follow him on Twitter, you should check him out. I loved the virtual choir it was my favorite video from last week. I could not believe it. I think it is absolutely crazy how much we can do with technology I can not even wrap my head around it. I hope you enjoyed the videos and I agree with you I am going to use the tools in my class room. Good luck with the class Ashley!
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete